Powered By Blogger

Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

newest review of wings of morning

This is my first foray into Amish fiction—and because of Murray Pura’s storytelling magic, certainly not my last. It is my privilege to teach both English Literature and History of Western Civilization at a local college, and the Great War setting of The Wings of Morning gripped me from page one. The details of the authentic World War One aircraft and the life and death struggles for victory in the sky keep the reader right on the battlefront with the main characters, Lyyndya and Jude, alongside their families and friends. It is easy to express enthusiasm for a work that combines romance and history with everyday spirituality (and not a hint of preaching or pedagogy). Despite the predominantly bucolic Amish setting, the plot is compelling, the wartime action is rapid-fire (especially once the blacksmith-pilot takes to the air), and the characters are beautifully believable. (After turning the last page, I reread chapter one for the pure pleasure of meeting the main characters again for the first time. Mr. Murray, please tell us there’s a sequel!) What a delight it was picking up an action-packed, historically informative and romantic novel as family-friendly as this one. The language is often lyrical, the images fresh and clean. I would recommend this book to all who enjoy well-penned prose; the story is a read-aloud feast. A copy of The Wings of Morning was sent to us by Harvest House Publishers for an honest review. It is suitable for readers of all ages. Both my history-loving husband and I (the high-flyer in the family) appreciated the way romance and history were woven together, stressing the importance of community in times of crisis. Murray Pura did an admirable job highlighting the war and peace paradox. We enthusiastically give this book a five-star rating. Robin and Elaine Phillips, Adjunct college instructors, Cochrane, Alberta, Canada

2 comments:

Nancee said...

Beautiful review! I can't wait for my copy to arrive! I'm afraid I'll have to hide it from my hubby for a while!
Nancee

murray said...

Nancee, yes, I sure hope guys realize this is a story they can enjoy too!